And so begins my second week of unemployment! If you have ever read my blog, you’re probably having a sense of déjà vu because wasn’t I only recently – yes, yes I was. But I lasted nine months! And then the funding ran out, leaving me working only Friday and scrambling to get myself onto the welfare system before the bills start piling in. I’m hoping to get a job soon, because while the funding for the sector was a while back, it was announced in May that the funding would be returned. Unfortunately, with the start of the new financial year, no funding has come in and there’s no news as to when the money will arrive – if it does arrive at all. Until then, I may just have to enjoy some forced time off.
An added benefit to time off is that I can do a bit more cooking. Elaborate lunches and delicious snacks are back on the menu, motivated by good lighting and so much fucking time on my hands.
A good example of this time and lighting is this banger of a sammich.
This creation boasts a beetroot relish, a sticky sausage, and the toppings of yum.
It worked together so well that our hands were dirty and there was avo smeared on our faces but it was DELICIOUS and we had no time for such trivialities. But really, it was quite the perfect combination of flavours, and relatively quick to whip up.
This dish work because you have bread, with the creamily mild avo. Sweet tomato. Smokey, sweet and spicy sausage. There’s the relish, which adds a nice depth – I was skeptical about the relish but it really works and I would always add it when making again, despite my misgivings when it comes to the ground purple…
Hey, did you notice my slicing technique? I sliced a loaf of bread the other way, so that each slice is freakin’ long. Like a length of loaf, instead of short slices. That’s how epically fat-man I am about bread and all its wonder.
- Bread or Toast
- 1 medium beetroot, grated
- 1 TB balsamic vinegar
- ½ tsp cumin powder
- 2 TB water (optional)
- 4-6 Vegan sausages
- ½ tsp cayenne pepper (optional)
- ½ tsp smoked paprika
- 2 TB kecap manis
- 1 tomato, sliced thinly
- 1 avocado
- ½ lemon, juiced
- 1 cup spinach
- In a small saucepan, heat the grated beetroot. After about five minutes, add in the vinegar, cumin and water. Stir and allow to heat through for another five minutes, then set aside.
- Mash the avocado and combine with the lemon juice. Set aside.
- Heat a frying pan over medium-high heat.
- Slice the sausages lengthways (either in halves or thirds).
- Place the sausages onto the frying pan and allow to sit for a few minutes, then flip. The sausage should be pretty crispy! You want that.
- Once both sides are crisp, reduce the heat to medium-low and then sprinkle over the spices. Add the kecap and shake the pan to coat the sausages in the sauce. It should caramelise and coat them. You may need a little water if you kecap is a bit thick!
- Prepare the sandwich by laying down a base of spinach and tomato. Dollop on beetroot relish and the avocado. Top with the sausages. Serve asap!