I did that thing where I purchased coriander from the store and kept it in a jar of water. This is meant to keep that bunch of green fresh, and what also happened is that several baby shoots then appeared. These baby shoots turned out to be very handy for cute pictures. Not that this dish needed a huge amount of prettying up – that sauce is sweet and oozy. The sauce is sweet, sour and spicy, and surprisingly good. Which kinda makes me mad, because I’m one of those people that gets a bit mad whenever there’s a fruit in my savouries. Pineapple on pizza? FORGETABOUTIT. Cranberries in a rice dish? OK, that is also growing on me and making me mad so FORGETABOUTIT. But yes, after those Teriyaki Tacos with Pineapple salsa, I have allowed pineapple in a sauce to work for me.
And sometimes that works.
This recipe is a veganised version of this one at sallysbakingaddiction
I’m still at my mother’s house. It’s super big here, lots of tiles. Mainly, my cat isn’t here.
I’m such a cat fan, and my kitty is particularly luxurious in her cuteness.
I’m not particularly a fan of children, but at least my little sister isn’t as much of a pest as she used to be. She can now slightly entertain herself and that means I can be left alone. She eats food that I make. She drops her ipad and freaks out that mum will see it. She leaves plates around so frequently it freaks me out. She has to be told to brush her teeth and to shower. She wants treats constantly.
A cat just snuggles and never talks. It’s great.
My kitty also does weird things that are adorable vs the weird stuff the child does, which is instead alarming.
My mum has a male cat, and he’s all over me right now. I’m not used to this level of affection. He climbs and snuggles and purrs so loud. My kitty at home is female, and she’s super aloof and busy being busy, without every dong anything ever. But this boy is currently looking at tiredly, having been out all morning with the street cats. My kitty hates all other beings.
In fact, my mum’s cat is so sociable, that all of the other cats from the street hang out together and eat each other’s food. They come in through the cat door and just chill. Male cats that I meet seem to be much friendlier – the holes on my home flyscreen are testament to the effort my own kitty puts into attacking strangers through the window.
BTW cats are aliens.
- Fake Meat of choice - for 2-3 serves
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 cup canned pineapple chunks, half drained
- ½ cup soy sauce
- ¼ cup apple cider vinegar
- ½ cup water
- 1 tsp fresh ginger
- 1 TB cornstarch
- Basmati rice
- ¼ cup coriander, chopped
- 2 spring onions, sliced thinly
- Heat the garlic in a lauge fry pan. Add your fake meat, frying until cooked. Set aside in a bowl, keeping the stove on the heat.
- Add the pineapple chunks to the hot pan, and stir. Allow to bubble in its juices until heated well.
- Add the soy sauce, vinegar, water and ginger. Allow to simmer while whisking occasionally. Bring to a boil and allow to boil for 1 minute.
- Sprinkle in the cornstarch, then stir well. Reduce the heat.
- Return the fake meat to to the pan and toss through the sauce. Once well coated, turn off.
- Serve over rice, with spring onions and coriander.