One thing that makes vegan life rad is that regular dishes are so easily converted into a cruelty free option. I was trawling through the interwebz, forever seeking food inspo, when I came across a recipe for chicken tacos. As a standard, I will usually sub tofu for chicken in recipes. It works well because eat of these white proteins has little flavour and acts just like a flavour sponge. For tofu, I only ever use firm tofu because silken horrifies me with its snotty texture.
These chicken tacos looked better than they sounded on the website, because I thought the combination of teriyaki sauce and pineapple salsa was a no-go. It also involved me least-liked flavour combo of sweet fruits in savouries – pomegranate in salads? NO. Blueberries? FORGET ABOUT IT. But grilled pineapple in a spicy salsa? Yes, it works, and it’s freakin tasty (I actually swear a lot in my daily chats). Like, really tasty.
The original recipe is from here – http://carlsbadcravings.com/teriyaki-chicken-tacos-with-grilled-pineapple-pear-salsa/ which you can check out. I’ve decided to write up a recipe for the vegan version, as I know sometimes it’s not as easy to say “just substitute tofu”. I also add bits of my own, like garlic, which is a damn pre-requisite in everything I eat. I think some Hindu people don’t eat garlic/onion and this eating vegetarian without garlic is AKA veganism. So that makes life a bit more confusing. Do you dig garlic? I’m even trying to grow some! Note: I am 99% sure I failed because I dropped the pot midway through and don’t know if they replant well…
- 300g firm tofu
- ¼ cup teriyaki marinade
- 1 TB Sriracha sauce (opt)
- 1 TB garlic chopped
- ¼ cup veg stock
- 4 slices pineapple
- ½ red onion, sliced
- 2 fire-roasted capsicum from a jar
- 1 jalapeno, finely diced
- 2 inches of coriander stems, chopped
- 1 lime, juiced
- Cracked pepper
- 1 TB cornstarch
- 6-8 wholegrain tortillas
- 2 cups cooked rice
- Take the block of tofu, place between a tea-towel and weigh down to soak the liquid out. This will take about 30 minutes. Once pressed, chop and place in a bowl. Add the teriyaki sauce and Sriracha and stir well. Marinade for 30 minutes.
- Heat the garlic in the frying pan. Add in the tofu and cook for a few minutes on each side. Add the stock and let it boil, before pouring it back into a small bowl. Add the cornstarch to the stock, stir, then return to the pan. Stir to coat in the thickener. Remove from heat.
- To make the salsa, place the pineapple and onion under a grill and cook until blackened. I sprayed a little oil on mine and it took about 5-10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, finely chop the capsicum, jalapeno, and coriander. Once the pineapple and onion have been cooked, chop them as well.
- Combine it all in a small bowl and squeeze over the lime and pepper. Stir well.
- To assemble, layer warm tortillas with rice, tofu, salsa.