If you have a look here, I made a boss-ass pizza, with a mock pulled pork made from Jackfruit. I marinated it in BBQ sauce and then added coriander, red onion and spinach. So when I was having a PERVE at a recipe on unconventionalbaker.com and I thought well damn, I could turn that pizza into a burger, just like that! I’m sure that the Audrey’s are much nicer than mine, so make sure you have a look. Otherwise you can recreate my recipe, which is my post for Day 6 of Vegan MOFO – create a comfort food favourite.
And when it comes to comfort food, I love me some burgers and chips and fat foods. Although, this isn’t a fatty meal, it’s just carbs, baby! But it’s still comforting in a way that only a feasty meal can be. The whole thing is able to be ready in under thirty minutes and it’s easy. The jackfruit in sauce is juicy, the flavours are on point, and for a rare moment I found myself satisfied with only one serving. This never happens in my house, because I’m a piglet.
Wanna try it?
- 1 can green jackfruit in brine
- 2-3 TB tomato paste
- 1 tsp crushed garlic
- 1 tsp dried garlic flakes
- 1 tsp chilli powder
- ½ tsp liquid smoke
- 2 TB soy sauce
- 4 oil-soaked sun-dried tomatoes, chopped finely
- 2 tsp oil from the tomatoes ^
- 4 bread rolls
- ½ red onion, sliced thinly
- ¼ cup coriander, chopped
- ½ cup spinach, chopped
- ¼ cup sprouts (optional)
- In a large bowl, combine the ingredients for the sauce.
- Drain the jackfruit and gently rinse. Tear the jackfruit into pieces and then add to the bowl with the sauce. Stir to coat.
- In a frying pan, heat the jackfruit. It will take about 5 minutes to heat, and then it's done.
- Meanwhile, prepare the rolls but layering spinach, onion and top with the heated jackfruit mixture.
- Serve with chips!