I’m very proud to say that it’s officially been two weeks since I stopped taking my antidepressants! A few months ago, with my doctor’s permission and a free frowny face from him, I decided to have a go at stopping them. Online forums and my doctor recommended a slow tapering over a year, because I’ve been on them so long (about six years) but I’m the most impatient chap out, so I did over less than three months and am glad I did because …well, it was quicker! I was at 300mg, and went down 50mg every few weeks. I have been a bit weird, and for some reason I’ve been having trouble accessing bits of information I know exists in my head (I had to Google “how to tie a knot”, and at times I’ve forgotten how to spell words like “lime” and “toast” – which my partner has found rather humorous)! But the point is that I’m off them, and despite being dizzy constantly, and dealing with mega headaches and various symptoms, I have achieved a big milestone!
Very soon after dropping off them, I was lucky enough to win an instagram competition run by the account @edenlightretreat
The account is run by Jacqueline who is the owner and manager of Edenlight Retreat – website here.
The prize is to stay for two nights at the retreat. I would love to go and see all of the beautiful trees and gardens and cute doglets, but I can be so excruciatingly shy sometimes that I have instead gifted it to the Boy. He deals with me so well. And he eats all of my food. Unfortunately he does expect kombucha in the Winter time, which just doesn’t seem to work in my house, so I may have to have him “put down”. Not really, he’s been through so much to become the cutie he is today.
Anyway, to help keep me feeling as healthy as possible, even when I’m not actually feeling great, I’ve been attempting to get all of the salads into my body. Just all of them. Also lots of potatoes, because they’re delicious! To eat this salad and pesto; after I took the photo I just mixed it all up together into a messy pile of flavour. I used sun-dried tomatoes in the pesto. I’m so into those little flavour pellets, with their intense salty kick. The flavour changes so much with the drying, doesn’t it? Here’s someone else who liked tonight’s dinner:
- ¼ cup sun-dried tomatoes - sliced
- ½ cup hot water
- 1 cup basil
- ½ cup pumpkin seeds
- ¼ cup nutritional yeast
- rice for 2 - I used Thai berries
- potatoes - sliced and baked, seasoned
- salad - eg kale, chard, other greens
- ½ lemon - juiced
- In a small bowl, combine the tomatoes and the hot water. Set aside for 5 minutes.
- Pour the tomatoes and their liquid into a small blender. Add in the basil, pumpkin seeds and nooch. Season. Blend until it forms a paste. Test for flavour. If the flavour is too strong, add in some milder tasting greens, like spinach.
- Once the pesto is ready, stir through the rice, potatoes and vegetables. Serve with a squeeze of lemon juice and season well.