My partner has been sneaky. He’s been sneaking protein bars for after the gym, and they’ve been filled with whey and chocolate. He gave me a piece before I knew what it was. It tasted of poison, heavy on sugar alcohols and just plain old baby juice. It was the ultimate combination of bad stuff for me – milk chocolate (not only am I vegan but I am also lactose intolerant!) + sugar alcohol (my tummy gets so horribly sensitive) + whey protein (so acidic and heavy on the tummy) = basically a tummy attack in a bar. I was disappointed, and he was ashamed. When I get depressed, I can be a bit lax on the cooking, and seeing as there are no vegan options, I suppose it’s a little bit my fault that he did this naughty bar-snacking. I told him I would help a brutha out and sort the foods.
These aren’t the healthiest from a HCLF standpoint and this is because I tried to make them taste incredibly delicious. I wanted them to be super yummy so that there would be no post-workout sneaking or secret work-car noshing. I could work out the stats, but I imagine it would involve 500g fats and whatever. Thankfully, the Boy loved the heck out of these and promised to further poison himself in the name of protein.
- 2 cups almond flour
- 1 cup oat flour
- ½ cup protein - brown rice or pea
- ½ cup hemp seeds
- pinch of salt
- 1 cup brown rice syrup
- 2-3 TB almond milk
- 50g dark chocolate
- 1 TB coconut oil (optional)
- In a bowl, combine the almond flour, oats, protein, hemp and salt.
- Once combined, add in the syrup and milk. You might need to use your handies to smoosh it together.
- Divide into 10-12 silicone cupcake pans. Press down firmly.
- Meanwhile melt the chocolate with the oil. Pour the melted chocolate over the tops of the cups. Move to the fridge until ready to eat.