Firstly, this isn’t a tutorial, as there are too many good ones out there, and I don’t 100% know what I’m doing mostly. But you can see my pictures and get a general idea of what I did. I just winged it and had limited supplies, which is why this greenhouse is budget and poorly made!
It’s nearly Winter. Winter isn’t coming, it’s here. Admittedly there has been a lot of sunshine recently, but there’s also been some crazy wind and rain. My banana tree is being torn shreds as it flaps about like a cat’s tail, and my beautiful warm weather plants are starting to sadden now the joy of that first dose of rain water has gone. To protect them, I figured I would make one of those super easy greenhouses that frequently pop up online. They look cute and simple. I wanted to make sure it was cheap as well, so I wouldn’t be too worried if I had to tear it down – I want a BOSS greenhouse when I own my own home. Lush and fancy. Still homemade, but fancy.
So this here is a magically simple greenhouse that cost me about $25 to make. It isn’t particularly sexy, because I ran out of plastic, and since we lacked the funds for more, I basically patched it together using plastic shopping bags and a piece of roofing I had laying about. I don’t even care. I made this alone, and therefore upset a lot of neighbourhood dogs and possibly people, with my plastic flapping and when I was attempting to bend massive lengths of conduit piping.
To make, I measured out some old pallet wood I had collected (because I love pallets) and screwed them up into the rectangle shape I desired (2 metres x 1.5 metres). With the base in place I then purchased:
– 4x 3 metre lengths of conduit piping (20mm measurements)
– 8 x plastic brackets needed to attach the conduit to the wood.
The centre height is about 2 metres high, so even giant boyfriends can fit into the middle, and marvel at my skills. I screwed the brackets loosely in place, then bent the conduit into the arc you see here.
I then added plastic over the piping. I used builder’s polyethelene plastic. I used a lot of sellotape/sticky tape. I used some clips as well. This step involved purchasing:
– 10 metres of polyethelene plastic
– 20 x plastic clips for the conduit
It turns out that building a greenhouse is sweaty work, once you start to make it! Who knew? But yes, it became super hot, but I knew I was therefore making a nice house.
Once all of the plastic is in place, and you’ve left a flap for a door, you’re pretty much good to go. A lot of online tutorials have fancy doors of wood etc, but I presently have clips attached until I can find my stash of velcro. I will then use velcro to seal the doors.
On the inside I also attached some wire mesh stuff, using cable ties. If my passionfruit decides to grow, it can grow supported! I have no idea if it will grow, as I don’t think it likes me because I don’t have any bees.
Also, as this is a rental, I’m attempting to limit the murder of lawn by not having much touching the grass. I have used pallets in the corners to create an off-the-floor setup. This doubles by weighing the greenhouse down, so I don’t need to smash stakes into the ground, which I also know the real estate agent would love.