The internet is strange place. I can now use my phone to post food pictures online, and then win prizes. Remember my 2nd place in “Home Cook of the Year” through Woolworths? Well, this month I entered a challenge based around waste free lunches. It’s an awesome topic, when you think that many kiddy food is wrapped in plastic, the sandwiches are wrapped in plastic, too. So much waste every day. It’s much better to store food that can’t spill around, or keep in small reusable containers.
So this competition was run by the COOLEST bulk foods store, the Source. The prize was a wicked lunchbox from Planet Box. Stainless steel beauty, with a box that’s part Bento, part Thali, and a carry bag made from recycled materials.
My first lunch entry, above, included:
– carrots wrapped around hummus & sprouts
– chard wrapped around curried rice
– coffee protein ball
– banana pikelets
– celery sticks, with chilli coriander dip
My second lunch entry, below, included:
– apricot slices
– 2 pieces of vegan chocolate
– crackers – I use an old Tupperware pepper shaker and it fits perfectly
– Pizza! – 2 pizza bases + pizza sauce + mixed greens + nooch
I’m super happy to say that I won the competition! Woot!
And so that very day, at 9am, my partner and I were at the Source to pick up our lunch box. It was all shiny and lovely. To celebrate, I set up the Boy’s lunch Thali style.
His lunch included:
– sliced beetroot
– sliced cucumber
– (homemade) turmeric + carrot sauerkraut
– smokey BBQ tofu
– millet + lupin + garli + nooch
– pepitas + hemp, to serve