Why a summary? Because lots of people are lazy, and that’s OK. As this is a summary, if you want further clarification or “evidence” then you can refer to the actual book. I have divided the post up for those who want to further look into the effects on disease etc, and for those who just want the gist.
I’m dividing my post into:
- What is it and what can we learn?
- Demonstrated effects on heart health, cancer and disease
- Medical professionals, nurses and why you don’t need to worry when your doctor judges your diet
- The Principles of a healthy diet.
So what is the China Study and what can we learn? Check it out.
Dr Campbell? China Study?
This is the author’s insanely comprehensive study of health and nutrition. It is the result of a 20yr partnership with Cornell Uni, Oxford Uni and the Chinese Academy of Preventative Medicine. The actual China Study was a massive survey was conducted in the 1970’s. It required 650,000 workers, and surveyed 880,000,000 Chinese citizens across 2,400 Chinese countries.
What can we learn from Dr Campbell’s work and the China Study?
- nutrition is more important in controlling cancer than the initiating carcinogens;
- nutrients gained from animal products increase tumour development, while nutrients from plants decreases this development;
- You can eat as much whole foods as you like, and still lose weight (the skinny Chinese were eating many more calories than the average fat American!);
- fat from animal products can be linked with earlier menarche and later menopause, and therefore an increase in breast cancer (ie your ability to make the babies is longer, and so you are more likely to develop breast cancer because of this longer time period);
- fibre is vital to health (and fibre only comes from plants!)
- a large amount of fibre does not equate to low iron counts (hint: it’s the opposite), and;
- antioxidants (i.e. veg nutrients) are very important to health.
Plant based eaters everywhere are thinking ‘duh’. But it’s worth noting that a lack of animal products does not equate to health. Dr Campbell advocates for a whole food plant based diet. Sure, you can live off your fake meats and other suspicious products, but the best option for your help is to stick to INGREDIENTS (and not food made up of ingredients).
Click here if you want to know about the statistics linking animal products, veggies and your health.