For Christmas, my little sister gave me a book from an op-shop, and one of the recipes led me to creating this dish. They skewers are spicy, the rice is fresh and flavourful, and the shiitake mushrooms are always a good choice.
The worst part of this meal was that it had to be eaten in bazillion degree heat, because that is my entire life right now. I can’t think of anything else, other than that blazing sun killing my plants and the humidity putting me off the treadmill. But it doesn’t stop me eating all the things.
200g tofu, cubed
1/4 cup kecap manis (sweet soy)
1/2 tsp ground chilli
1/2 lemon, juiced
1 TB flour
1 TB sesame seeds
1. In a small bowl, combine the kecap, lemon, chilli and flour.
Whisk well, and then use to coat the tofu.
2. Allow to marinate for about 1-2 hours.
3. Pierce the tofu with the skewers (if using).
1 cup Shiitake mushrooms, sliced
1/4 cup water
4. In a hot frying pan, pour in the remaining tofu sauce and the mushies.
5. Add the tofu/skewers and the water. The water stops burning.
6. Cook for 3-4 minutes on each side. Stir the mushrooms up.
7. Serve the tofu with the salad
1/2 cup black rice, cooked, cooled
1 cup green beans (I used frozen, cooked)
1 cup beansprouts, chopped
handful cashews, roasted, chopped
1 spring onion, sliced thinly
8. The salad simply requires you adding it all to a large bowl and stirring well.