Nothing says “Australia” like a meat pie. Apparently. In fact, when asked to describe Australian culture throughout my school days, the answer was expected to include pies, mateship and a few other abstract ideas. But meat pies? Seriously? Half of the adventure of eating a meat pie was biting into it and wondering what exactly it is that you can see. Sometimes gristle, other times not being able to finish your pie because your imagination’s too good…
Check out this vegan pie:
No mystery ingredients. It’s filled with delicious mushrooms and flavour and PASTRY WRAPS AROUND IT LOVINGLY. Gently. This pie was surprisingly delicious, I kid you not. I was thoroughly impressed with myself if I am honest. My partner had a major crush on these pies, too. Imagine the best meat pie you’ve ever had – it’s rich and tasty and beautifully flavoured and the texture is on POINT.
How good are these for your Australia Day celebration? Although I don’t celebrate, because I think celebrating the following massacres of the Aboriginal people shouldn’t be a cause for fireworks. Most people just use it as a day to get really, really “maggot” while wearing an assortment of flag-adorned clothing. Culture.
MAKE THEM. Please. Celebrate Australia Day with an ORZEE POI. STRAYA!
- 4 mini tart tins
- 2 sheets vegan puff pastry
- 4 cups mushrooms, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, diced finely
- 4 TB nutritional yeast
- ½ tsp dried basil
- ½ tsp chilli flakes
- Lotsa pepper
- Cut the two slices of pastry into four pieces. Place a quarter into each tart tin and press up to the edges. Fill each tart tin with pie weights (I just squish my centres down afterwards).
- Bake the base for 8-10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a frying pan, cook the mushrooms and garlic. I add a few tablespoons of water to help it reduce. You really want to cook out the liquid from the shrooms. Press them with your spatula. Get them waterless!
- Remove from the heat, and add in the remaining ingredients. Stir well.
- Spoon into the pie tins. Cover with the lid of remaining pastry quarters.
- Bake for approx 20 minutes, until crispy. Serve ASAP