Do you remember Jaffas? I do, but I never liked them as a kid and when I got old enough to develop a love for chocolate with all of the flavours. The reason these brownies are so good? The four layers of goodness. It all mashes together into a sweet, orange and chocolate hit that is amazing – even if I do say so myself.
Four Layers of the Jaffa Brownie
Sweet, nutty Cookie Base
Additionally, and as a naughty twist, my partner was interested in trying some canna-oil spiked treats, and I took on the challenge. There’s no real set-in-stone way to create the oil, so do it how you like. You need 1 cup coconut based oil for this recipe. If you don’t want tainted treats, then regular oil is perfectly fine. If you do want to use a coco-cana-oil, then this is a really good way to mask the flavour of the cannabis. If that’s what you want.
10 medjool dates, soaked
3/4 cup crunchy nut (we used hazelnuts)
1/4 tsp salt
1. In a food processor, combine the dates (drained) and the nuts.
2. Blend into a crumble, then add the salt. Blend for a few more seconds.
3. Pour into a 20x20cm tin, lined with plastic or paper, and press into the base.
4. Move to the fridge for 10 minutes.
1 cup cashews, soaked overnight
1/2 cup cacao powder
1/2 cup maple syrup or liquid sweetener
3/4 cup coconut oil (or canna)
1 orange, zested
1. Drain the cashews, then pour them into the food processor. Blend until smooth.
2. Add in the cacao, maple and orange zest, then blend it all.
If the oil needs melting, melt it in a bowl over boiling water.
3. Pour into the mix, and blend a little more.
4. When smooth, pour over the top of the base, shake to disperse evenly
and then move to the fridge for an hour.
Marmalade (low sugar)
You can either use store-bought
or recipe is below
Pour about 3 TB jam and spread over the fudge filling. Return to fridge.
2 TB chia
1. You need to zest the skin, then remove the flesh.
Add the flesh and zest to a small saucepan, and begin to the orange. Mash at the flesh.
2. Once warmed, add the chia.
3. Turn off the heat and let sit for 1 hour,
or until the chia has thickened into a jam.
100g dark chocolate, orange flavour
1/4 cup coconut oil (or canna)
1. In a bowl over boiling water, melt the chocolate and oil together.
Chop up finely to help with melting.
2. When silkily melted and yum, pour over top jam, smoothing with a spoon.
3. Move to the FREEZER for 10 minutes .
Hours to make, total on the day – 2 hours