For dinner tonight, I needed to use up some of the sweet potatoes piling up in the pantry, and so I recalled a recipe from the back of a packet of brown rice. It’s a simple, but flavourful rice dish, using fresh tomato and sweet potatoes baked in the oven. I guess you could also bake the tomatoes, but I’m really not a fan of cooked tomato unless it’s in a curry or hidden away in a bolognaise.
2 cups brown rice
1 sweet potato, chopped
2 TB olive oil
1 TB coriander seeds
½ TB cumin seed
1 tsp chilli flakes
½ punnet fresh tomatoes, diced
2 spring onions, diced finely
A few handfuls of spinach
- Cook the rice in some veg stock or water until cooked – roughly. Once the rice is cooked, drain and leave for 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, bake the sweet potato for 30 minutes. You don’t need oil, just bake as is.
- In a large bowl, zest and juice the limes. Toss the rice through, and set aside.
- In a small frying pan, heat the olive oil. Add the seeds, and once they become fragrant, remove from the heat. Add the chilli flakes and stir through. Pour over the rice and toss to coat.
- Stir through sweet potato, spinach, tomatoes and spring onion. Season very well.