I’ve had an idea in my head for a new hydroponic garden, one that would be able to support the earthy veggies such as cabbage and cauliflowers. I wanted it wide and long, so that the veggies would be able to grow as if I was a farmer with a sown field.
Unfortunately, this hydro is problematic and had to be scratched. Thankfully, I had only spent $10 on the materials. And two days of time. But it did mean that I got to learn some things which will help with future projects.
Here are the faults of this hydro:
Water flow – a single pump attempting to feed 8 rows of plants
Leaks – not having enough ends and seals allowed for major water loss
Using metal – apparently this can have an effect on your plant food
Sun exposure – not having a covering for the roots means that algae is encouraged
Exposed roots – not having a growing medium to retain some water where it happens that the water pump should stop.
New growing mediums:
Perlite (50L @ $31.35) – dries out easily, mined material, small pieces and lightweight
Coco peat (50L @ $13) – organic, airy, reduces root rot, retains water well.
Fired clay (50L @ $39.70) – airy, heavy, reusable, no water retention
I am currently planning a new hydro that takes this failure into account.