Mr Man has turned 26 and he asked me to make a cake to take into work. He was all excited to take this one in (I always make a little tester cake to try on the side). I think his exact words were “I’m jealous of future me”, which lets you have a slight idea about just how delicious this baby is. I found this recipe on cookingclassy.com and made a veganised version, which is of course the superior version of a cake.
This cake is light, fruity and flavourful. It tastes like tropical deliciousness and I am very much hoping there’s cake left over to bring home so that I can have a piece or two or three…
To make this cake, you’ll need:
220g tin crushed pineapple, drained (about 1 cup)
1 cup raw sugar
3/4 cup brown sugar
1 cup oil
2 large bananas
3 flax eggs*
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp ground cinnamon
2 2/4 cup self-raising flour
1 cup chopped walnuts, lightly toasted 10 minutes
Cream cheese icing mixture – recipe here
1 cup coconut flakes, lightly toasted
* 3 TB flaxmeal and 1/3 cup boiled water
1. Preheat the oven to 150*C and line a large 9 inch cake tin
2. In a mixing bowl, combine the sugars, oil, banana, flaxegg, salt and cinnamon. Mix well to combine. Add in the pineapple and stir through.
3. Pour in the flour and mix well, before gently folding through the walnuts.
4. Pour into the cake tin and then bake for an hour, or until a toothpick comes out clean.
5. Allow to cool completely on a wire rack, before slicing in half and icing.
6. Press the cooked coconut around the sides and then store in the fridge until ready to eat.